Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Oh Hazel Day 4

With every update by text and Facebook post I feel like I forget to share some vital piece of information, or I'm sure that I've left someone in the dark. So I decided to use my much neglected blog.

Saturday my daughter, Haddie, went into pre-term labor at 30 weeks. Our local hospital, Sumner Regional, transported her by ambulance to Vanderbilt. Memories are sketchy, but the bottom line was that she was contracting and labor was progressing.

She was given fluids and medications to slow labor and help Hazel's development.

By Sunday morning she had stopped progressing but not stopped contracting. She was "paused" at 4 cm dilated and 80% effaced. She and baby have been doing well. Haddie's blood pressure is fine, and Hazel's heart rate is fine. The doctors decided Sunday night to remove the monitors and IV and allow Haddie to eat.

By Monday morning they had even moved her to a step down room, to a room we generously referred to as a closet.  Monday afternoon she moved to a much nicer room, and we prepared for what we hoped would be a long haul. The doctors really hadn't shared much information about what they expected, but among the family we agreed that we wanted her to stay at Vanderbilt and not be sent home.

So, what has Tuesday looked like? It started with a visit from the doctor and a plan to stay here for another 3 weeks or so. Then if Haddie was doing well she would be allowed to go home. That sounded great so I decided to leisurely make my way back to the hospital. And then she texted me.  She was contracting and they had called for her doctor and were hooking up a monitor.

Leisure is over rated, right?

Haddie isn't having painful contractions, but she's having pretty regular contractions. She's been moved back to the labor and delivery area, the baby monitor is hooked up, and she's getting fluid by IV. Labor seems to still be on pause, and that's the best news.

But you know the reactions of the various family members have been entertaining.
Grandma Dianne was on board an airplane when I called her to say that Haddie was contracting again and I was rushing back to Vanderbilt. She didn't demand to get off the plane and should be in Charleston by now.

I discovered last night that I had a tail light out so I called Greg on the way home and asked him to replace the bulb before I ventured down this morning. This morning when Haddie texted that she was contracting I jumped into high gear and asked him to rush. My car didn't cooperate. When I dashed out to the garage, I met a puzzled Greg. After the bulb change neither tail light worked. He suggested that I take his car. I couldn't process his excellent so I jumped in my car and promised to be home before dark.

Hopefully the tail light will prove to be the most exciting part of the day. Haddie is now resting, and it's my chance to grab some lunch and get some work done.

Thank you for your continued prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment